For 30 days I’ve been living my capsule wardrobe. Every day I’ve taken a photo and posted it on instagram (#30daysofmycapsulewardrobe, I’ve featured some shots through this part but check my instagram @larsville for the full job lot) and it’s been interesting looking at what I’ve worn each day. Especially how I’ve made it work for my every day mum life and my work wear… I’ve seen some clear trends and I defo haven’t worn half the stuff in my capsule collection.
I took inspiration from a blog called Unfancy..a lot of people online have based their capsule wardrobes on this blog…Caroline says to have 37 pieces for every day wear. Underwear, work out gear and lounge wear don’t count. Or special occasion wear like for weddings and stuff don’t count. Coats and jackets and shoes do count. Accessories don’t.
So I’ve had a think and here are ten things I’ve learned…
1. 37 pieces is probably too many..It’s actually loads and I haven’t worn quite a few pieces.
2. I think I need to swap out something for another pair of skinny jeans cos my Jamie jeans are already falling apart from over wear.
3. There are quite a few pieces I don’t really like that much or don’t fit properly or aren’t really in season so they need to go.
4. Four coats and two jackets is a bit excessive.
5. Investing in good pieces is worth it, I’ll try and slowly build up to replacing the things I swap out instead of going mad in Zara or H&M in one fell swoop.
6. I might include lounge wear and accessories cos you can still go nuts buying these.
7. Cos I was taking photos every day I wanted my outfit to be different every day too but that’s not really the point of a capsule wardrobe is it?
8. I think a successful one would have lots of possible combos, but I have lots of complete “outfits”..it would be better to have tops and bottoms that can be swapped about.
9. I really am addicted to shopping. I mean it. I just can’t stop. I’ve bought stuff this month even though I’m meant to be living a capsule wardrobe. But I think if I can get the wardrobe right it’ll be different. I hope.
10. I seem to have some clear work wear and clear non work wear but I’ve done quite well making some pieces work for both.
And there you have it!
I’ll do a separate post with my final capsule wardrobe..just need to figure out the best way to show the pieces…