My friend tash gave me this recipe and I’ve modified it a bit.. She came up with it to sneak mushrooms into her kid’s dinner… The mushroom is grated so you get the mushroom taste without them picking through great chunks of it and turning their nose up… It’s really easy to make.. Makes loads of leftovers and it’s delish…
500g packet of pasta (spirali or conciglie work really well)
Packet of mushrooms (grated)
Zest of a lemon
Chopped red onion or onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Cheddar cheese, grated
Packet of ricotta
Jar of black olives, halved
1. Cook the pasta. Fry the onion in a large frying pan or wok.. Once soft add the mushroom and cook for a couple of minutes.. It won’t need long. Then throw in the zest, garlic and parsley.
2. Mix the egg with the ricotta and season..stir into the cooked, drained pasta until well coated.
3. Add the mushroom mixture to the pasta and mix well.
4. Add the cheese and olives to the mix.. Then transfer to an oven proof dish. Sprinkle a little more cheese on top. Squeeze some lemon juice over the dish.
5. Bake for 20 minutes until you have a crusty top.
And there you have it! Tash didn’t add the ricotta and egg.. So it isn’t really needed if you’re not into it…I just like it. And she grilled it I think, not baked. And she used spring onions not red onions but I have about 5 bags of red onions in the fridge so I used that!
Play around with it! The key is the grated mushroom mixture really.